Saturday, July 5, 2008

Back in the game

Yes, I am still alive and working on all sorts of fibery pursuits. It is amazing how quickly time can pass, and I can neglect to record any of my adventures.

One of my newest adventures is the Le Tour de Fleece 2008. It begins today, and follows the schedule of the Tour de France, ending on July 27th. Even though I have been out of school for a week, I have not touched my wheels. So, I am figuring that this event will help me take a break from the endless chores inside and out to do something for me.

I have chosen two fleeces from my stash to be spun during this event. The first is a romney/mohair blend, approximately 2 1/2 lbs or 1200g. My mom bought it for me as a Christmas gift in 2002. I rewashed it last summer, and had my friend, Beth, re-card it last Fall. I haven't touched it since. Along with much canning and freezing this summer, this future yarn will help me not freeze myself this winter. I am planning on making it into the "Knitting Pure & Simple Neck Down Cardigan for Women".






The second bag, a vintage member of my collection is a merino and angora blend. The first of this fiber was purchased in the Summer of 2002. I then rewashed that fiber last summer, and added additional merino and angora to the blend. I believe that it is a 50/50 blend, and there is about 2 lbs. or 800g. This yarn will also be for me, but I am not sure to make it into yet.





So, the combined fiber will yield about 2000g of yarn. It will also help eliminate two bags of carded batts or fleece from hanging on my walls. I still have many more that need to be spun before I will have any new wool carded. Since I have around 42 grease fleeces that need to be washed and stored this summer, I'd better get moving.

Good luck to everyone participating. This is going to be fun!

No comments: