Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Idgie!


Idgie, my Louet s-10dt turned four today. I first met Idgie at Halcyon Yarn while on a February Break trip with my sister, Laural. It had already been a long, hard school year for us, and we needed to escape from our normal surroundings for a while. Her friend, Jess, had offered us the opportunity to visit, and we took her up on the offer.

As I think back to that visit, what I remember most is the wonderful hospitality shown to us by Jess, and her now in-laws. They were very gracious to us, and welcomed us with open arms. We were fed wonderful food, had great conversations, and were surrounded by the Maine wilderness for close to a week. It was so refreshing!

In the fours years since that visit, Idgie and I have covered a lot of ground. We have spun many types of wool, demonstrated at the New York State Fair, and participated in a sheep-to-shawl competition. Idgie has earned a few bumps and bruises along the way. Ernie left a puppy chew mark on her right treadle when he was a few months old, she has received a new break band, and had to have her back post replaced as it was starting to split. She still spins like a breeze, and is a joy to work with. Many other wheels have come and gone, but I have always remained faithful to Idgie. I look forward to many more years of spinning with her. Currently, she is occupied with some Romney roving, and soon will be moving into some merino/angora/silk blends.

Happy Birthday Idgie, and thanks for the memories!

No comments: