Friday, February 1, 2008

WOOL!!!


Today is a wonderful day! It is very cold outside. Things are icing over and the roads are not fun. And best of all, school is canceled for today. As a child, I used to love the occasional snow day, but I think that I relish them even more as an adult. You can never fully guarantee when you will have them, and they always feel like an extra special gift. I have been using today's gift to complete some weekend chores, sip some coffee, knit a few stitches, and best of all, play with fleece.

This fleece is complements of McCauley, a lovely Romney Ram, owned by Phebe. I purchased this fleece at the 2006 New York State Fair, and up until this point had not really taken the time to enjoy it. On Wednesday, I began sorting the fleece by staple length (short, almost medium, medium, and long) and also bundling the fibers. I am trying to maintain lock structure as much as possible, so that I can spin from the lock if I desire. The crimp is very consistent on this fleece, and the luster is beautiful. I haven't made up my mind what I will make with his wool yet, but it will be many wonderful somethings, as there is close to ten pounds of grease wool. As long as the weather stays wintery, I will be busy inside.

I just finished posting to the year long gift-a-long, and added my February goals as well. I did not meet all of my January goals, but when I made them I forgot about how busy the end of a semester can get. Now, a new semester has begun, so I should be able to catch back up. Having a week off in February will also be a plus. Belonging to the group is helping me keep knitting that has a deadline on task. It will be great not to be overwhelmed when special occasions come along.

Ernie and Zoe are finally napping. This morning I was organizing canned food and dry goods, and every time that I went to the utility room, they were sure that it must be time to eat. I think they are both happy that I have decided to sit still for a while. After all, I am interrupting the daily nap schedule.

I am being beckoned by the wool, resistance is futile.

No comments: